Tim's Reviews > Rama II

Rama II by Arthur C. Clarke

Feb 03, 12

Read from January 04 to February 02, 2012

When I came across the sequels to "Rendezvous with Rama" in a used bookstore, I bought 'em up and proceeded to re-read the original, every bit as enjoyable as the first time I read it (see my review). SO, now I have finished the first sequel. Like some other reviewers, I didn't like this one as much as the first. While having a diverse group of characters, with some depth and back-stories, the only one really who was interesting was Nicole DesJardins, as a half-African medical officer with very strong ties to her mother's culture, which help her through some of the dicier times on this voyage. Nonetheless, this book seemed a combination of S-F and a mystery novel (Hey, who's doing the sabotage here, if it ISA sabotage?) and some spiritual dimensions (presented by Nicole, as well as (but more annoyingly) in Thomas O'Toole, one of the astronauts (well, they're all referred to as cosmonauts here). The sociological upheavals brought on by Rama I and the ensuing political-economic developments leading to the appearance of Rama II I found very intriguing, as well as some of the wonder at both familiar and new aspects of this here Rama II. Really, the S-F aspects of this book were the best part of it. AND the setup for the sequel ("The Garden of Rama") is pretty neat, with a surprise or two. SO, I guess I'd sort-of recommend this one for Rama fans, just be aware that the story plods along in places, but the scientific aspects are worth it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rama II.