AennA's Reviews > Lumayo Ka Nga Sa Akin

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: love-love-love-it, pinoy-ako-este-ito
Read from January 04 to 06, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Lumayo Ka Nga Sa Akin

"Yon yung mali sa tinatawag na 'cool factor.' Para maging 'in' ka, dapat magustuhan mo yung gusto ng iba. Pero pag sobrang dami na ng may gusto, dapat umayaw ka naman dahil magiging jologs ka na. Dapat kakaiba lagi ang gusto mo, para kunyari iba ka."

This is just one of the thoughts we can ponder upon on the recent Bob Ong's book Lumayo Ka Nga sa Akin. It is his 9th book, following the success of his Ang Mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan, Kapitan Sino, MacArthur Stainless Longganisa, Alamat ng Gubat, Ang Paboritong Libro ni Hudas, Bakit Baliktad Magbasa ng Libro ang mga Pilipino, and ABNKKBSNPLAko?!.

I was a bit surprised when I found out that he released his 9th book. I've been following his twitter, and facebook pages and I didn't read much press release about the book, like what happened with the Ang Mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan. It has become a habit of mine to frequent Bibliarch in Makati just to check new books that might interest me, and there, I saw his new book. I was surprised with the cover, and I thought it was someone else's until something hit me - it was with Bob Ong's book, so it must be his.

Bob Ong is one of the famous Filipino writers flourishing in the current generation. His funny, entertaining way of discussing life's realities endeared him to the heart of the Filipino readers. I salute him for his ability to encourage the youth back to reading. I have never seen the younger people so excited over a new book, even hounding the publishers or Bob Ong himself through social media for a new book.

The book's cover might deceive you to think that it's the usual Filipino love story books,but it's not. Designed with a pink cover, the size of the usual pocketbook, and with two people in distorted, monstrous-look. It was written in a script format, with the characters all playing a role in a movie. It reminded me of the famous Shake, Rattle in Roll, which has three episodes in one movie. First episode in Bob Ong's book is under action-comedy genre, the next one is a horror, and the last one is on drama.

In each movie genre being played with, he discussed the mediocrity and those obvious nonsensical, stereotyped approach in Filipino movies.

There were also snippets of ordinary Filipino's lives, and on how we live our lives revolving around the superficials, and commercialism. The book also talked about the marketing and advertising approach of businesses, and how they try to influence our mindset in buying their
products. Of course, personally, being part of that industry, I understand his sentiments and I know why businesses has to go through that procedure. But, then, individuals has to understand the whole "brainwashing" procedure, so we can set aside our choices being lord over by commercialism, and instead focus on making decisions with wise mind and self-control.

There are a lot more insights we can get from this book, and don't jump to conclusion that this is a preachy book. No. Bob Ong didn't let go of his signature style of entertaining and witfully done jokes and approach in story telling. I feel the need to share that I cried so hard as I laughed

with all his funny lines. You'll never stop reading the book once you get hold of it. I read the book in just a day. It's a fun, and very entertaining book. Almost everyone can surely relate in everything that was discussed in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lumayo Ka Nga Sa Akin.