Erin Reilly-Sanders's Reviews > Our Only May Amelia

Our Only May Amelia by Jennifer L. Holm

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: fiction, gender, historical, juvenile
Read from January 04 to 10, 2012

Let's see.. In general I rather liked this book. It had a charming voice to the narration with a generally likeable protagonist. It fit together very nicely with themes connecting throughout the book such as the Chinook baby, the new babydoll, and Baby Amy. The foreshadowing felt so subtle that I'm not sure that it was useful while reading despite being interesting to look back upon toward the end. Some interesting things are sort of bumped into, possibly in a "good" way, but generally left unexplored such as gender, relations with the Chinook, racism toward the Chinese, immigration, and her grandmother's abuse. This is not to say that one book for a juvenile audience should explore all those things, although I think it's nice that Holm did include most of them, but I just feel that the book seemed a little raw and unfinished because of these brief but unresolved forays. I especially was unsatisfied with how her problems with her grandmother were resolved, although I have to say that it was likely a realistic conclusion. The moments where the story doesn't quite feel like it works may be due to the overlay of literary form on to a real person's story and that the edges in between do exactly meet correctly. Regardless, I enjoyed the book, liked the character, and would generally recommend Our Only May Amelia. I just might recommend other books first.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Only May Amelia.