Jay Fromkin's Reviews > What Would Satan Do?

What Would Satan Do? by Anthony  Miller

Jan 23, 2012

liked it
Read from January 04 to 10, 2012

What would Satan do? Good premise. If Satan were to retire and try life on earth, how would he behave, and how would he change our lives in the process?

First, the good. Anthony Miller can write funny. Really funny. In fact, the tone of the book is reminiscent of Tom Robbins' "Another Roadside Attraction," and I'd hoped that Miller could sustain that tone throughout the book, but he couldn't. Miller's Satan is a fun character, but once the focus is off him, the book drags. Festus, one of Austin, Texas,left-behind hippies is trapped in the '70s; Raju, an Asian Indian stereotype just takes up space; Lola, a security agent is little more than eye candy; and Liam, the owner of an Austin guitar store, becomes, only at the end, a plot mover. Miller packs in a corrupt, corpulent governor, a mega-church minister, private armies - including a militant group of old men...but much of this takes the focus off Satan. And that's too bad.

As a fan of Robbins' early writing, I thought this book started out with a lot of promise, and I had high hopes for it. More Satan and fewer peripheral characters. might have gotten it done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Would Satan Do?.