Emily's Reviews > The Janus Affair

bookshelves: steampunk, favorites
Read in January, 2014

Last Read: Jan 04, 2012

I loved this book.

It's been a long time since I've been up WAY past my bedtime to finish a book and on a weekday! The book is a little slow going in the beginning, but once I got about 20% of the way through it I could not put it down.

Eliza Braun and Wellington Books have been partners for a year now and have developed a wonderful relationship with each other. One of the things that irked me about the first book in this series was how extreme both characters were (and how true they were to their names), but enough of their partner's personality has rubbed off on both of them to level out their personalities. Braun is looking before she leaps and Books is more willing to leap.

Books is by far my favorite character. I've always had a soft spot for the quiet, bookish, secret badass. And I want to say that most of the chapters are from Book's perspective so yay!

There were a couple of places I thought the story could have been tightened up and the big reveal of the Big Bad's motivation was a little flimsy. But overall, a fantastic read! I am very much looking forward the next installment.

Spoiler...

And on seeing Books in America...he's going to be a fish out of water. Haha.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Janus Affair.

01/16/2014 marked as: currently-reading