Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Jan 22, 12

Read from January 21 to 22, 2012

And thus concludes the story of Katniss the Mockingjay.

As I suspected, this book basically holds all the action that is missing from Catching Fire, and a great deal more gore than the first book. Now, I don't mind gore, so that didn't bother me in the least, but some of it seemed to be just a tad TOO gratuitous. Like it was only added TO add it.. if that makes sense? To me, at least, this book is in NO way a book intended to children, and it's Young Adult tag is barely hanging on.

On completion of the trilogy, one can finally look at the series as a whole, and as one book. Because that, obviously, is what this trilogy is. One huge book, split into three large volumes, telling one brilliant coherent story.

There were some surprises in the storyline here, and people died that I didn't expect to die, but overall the book is well written, the story is engaging, and reading pulls you in so that you don't want to (and sometimes even *can't*) stop reading. My only real beef with the books, or really just this last one in particular, is that I felt that the ending was a bit rushed. With SO many pages of dragged out and detailed scenes throughout three long books and me finally having become used to that writing style, the ending was very sharp and quick, skipped over some parts and didn't dwell long enough on others. The final battle scene, for instance, lacked all the details and the thoughtful writing put into the rest of the book. It just happened like an explosion: BOOM, FLASH, what the hell just happened?

BUT, I'm not about to let such an issue ruin the book and the series for me, so I'm happy to conclude the series with the 4 stars out of 5 of Goodreads's (and my own) "I Really Liked It".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

01/21/2012

Dawn Herrick Exactly! "With SO many pages of dragged out and detailed scenes throughout three long books the ending was very sharp and quick, skipped over some parts and didn't dwell long enough on others."

message 2: by Arni Vidar (new) - added it

Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson I really don't like reviewing series. It's very strange to be reviewing book 3 of 16 or something, knowing there's so much more to happen. Any complaints of "X didn't happen" will be met with "maybe it just hasn't happened yet"
I think this is the only series I've ever reviewed :)