Kim's Reviews > Drive

Drive by James Sallis

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: mystery, ebook, read-in-2012
Read from January 14 to 15, 2012

I think this is one of the very rare cases where I like the movie more than the novella. It's not that it was bad in any way, just very different in both versions. I don't think I would have liked this one so much if I had read it before watching Ryan Gosling walk around in his scorpion jacket.

A few minor characters got a bigger role in the movie, (or stay alive instead of getting their heads blown off) and to be honest, I don't think the book would have worked on-screen if they hadn't changed it so much. I do like the fact that I know a little more about Driver's background story now, because nothing about gets mentioned in the movie adaptation.

This probably isn't a book for everybody, but I do recommend watching the movie and I'll admit this song, which they use in the opening credits, has been playing non-stop in my car while I'm driving at night. It makes me feel... It's hard to explain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drive.

01/14/2012
20.0% "I really want to finish reading this tonight even though I'm deadtired.."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim I saw the movie yesterday and I liked it a lot, let's hope the book is even better.

message 2: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany I had no idea this was a book. Definitely going to have to check this out!

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim I didn't know either, but the intro of the movie mentioned it, and well, after that I just had to read it :)

It's good so far, I hope you'll enjoy it.

message 4: by Alisha (new)

Alisha I completely get you about the soundtrack. I had it on in my car for ages, I can't explain either how it made me feel driving along, but it sure does something.

I loved the film, I'm not sure what i would think of the book though. Good review, but i don't think this book will be on my must read list. :)

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Thanks Alisha!

The music is unusual but it really works, and a few songs really stick out :)

There's a sequel coming, I am considering reading it though.