Megan Curd's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Jan 05, 12

Read from January 04 to 05, 2012

Wow, I'm so torn! On one hand, I absolutely loved this book. on the other, I had some beefs. Here they are:

THE GOOD:
Oh my word, the descriptions! Loved, loved, loved the detail. I could see all of it, and I appreciated that it wasn't overkill. Hodkin has a knack for this obviously, and she doses it very effectively. Another thing I loved was her ability to truly MAKE me read the next chapter. She didn't end chapters oddly, she simply left just enough of a morsel that you truly couldn't justify not moving on and finding out what happened. Also, her character building and ability to make you care what happened to her characters was good. The evolution of Noah was excellent.

THE BAD:
What happened to Jamie? I felt like Hodkin just let him slip through the cracks. Hopefully this is remedied in the sequel, but it definitely felt like she just decided to stop writing about him. Also, a lot of the wording used felt above YA. Not to say that YA can't have academic words, quite the contrary, but I really had a hard time seeing teens speaking the way they did sometimes. Also, it's literally almost 75% of the way through the book before anything is actually explained. Don't get me wrong, I love a good build up, but making me go that long without good answers just seems a bit exaggerated.

CONCLUSION:
This is a great novel. I read it in 2 days, so it's a pretty quick read. The characters are great, and I'd love to see what's next for Mara and Noah. I will definitely pick up the sequel, but I'm hoping Hodkin will get things rolling a bit quicker next time.

RATING: 4 Stars

*See more of my reviews on www.megancurd.blogspot.com*
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

01/04/2012
11.0% "I'm really intrigued by this book! Hodkin is doing a great job of leaving chapters hanging just enough to make me read on. Loving it. :)" 2 comments
01/04/2012
32.0% "Still a pretty darn good book! The back and forth and hint of paranormal is a little confusing at times, but it's not detracting from my genuine curiosity to figure out what in the world is going on. :)"
01/05/2012
100.0% "review to come."
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny I agree with you 100% on the good, but I'm going to have disagree about the wording used being above YA. I don't know if it was just me and my group of friends in high school, but a lot of us spoke similarly to that of Mara and her friends, and so I could really relate to and appreciate the dialogue.

I also don't think any type of wording is above YA. You'd be surprised at how well versed in vocabulary and sayings young adults are these days, so why not have a book that reflects that?

I know not all readers can relate to the wording, but I'm sure they can still appreciate it for exactly what it is - loquacious teenagers with wits and humor. =)

Megan Curd Oh, I totally agree - no wording is above YA, I just personally thought there was an overabundance of it. But! To each their own. :) I really did enjoy the wit in the book. There were so many lines that made me laugh between Mara and Noah. Hodkin created her character's personalities very well. :)