Torie's Reviews > Wyrd Sisters

1905164
Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from December 31, 2011 to January 06, 2012

I struggle to rate this one. I recognize it as simultaneously mediocre and genius.

The witches themselves don't interest me much. Magrat is a cartoon, Granny is too stern and single-minded (I know you're supposed to admire her tenacity but she's just sort of heartless), and Nanny gets sat on by everyone around her, except her kids. So I didn't like them much, and I still don't really understand how it is that they see its their duty to interfere.

And then, oh, the plot. It just doesn't have a lot going for it. Nothing bad, but nothing that made me want to find out what happens next, you know?

But these things--plot, character--that would define any other book are almost irrelevant here because the book is a brilliant parody of Macbeth. Pretty much every paragraph has a reference to this or that Shakespeare, to this moment or that speech. If you get it, it's amazing. If you don't, well, all you've got left is a sort of lame story.

It's also probably the funniest one of his I've read so far, from the recurring character of the storm trying to prove himself, to the various Shakespeare in-jokes. So despite the lack of compelling characters or driving narrative, it's a pleasure to read.

It's so nearly a 4, but I really consider Guards! Guards! to be a 4, so I'm going to call this a 3.5.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wyrd Sisters.