Mark Soone's Reviews > Collected Poems

Collected Poems by Dylan Thomas

Jan 10, 12

bookshelves: classic, poetry
Read from January 04 to 10, 2012

I used to write and read poetry in my younger days, and have had a desire to reconnect with that part of me during this year. Dylan Thomas has long been one of my favorites, and I thought I would begin this year with him.

Of course most people are familiar with "Do not go gentle into that good night" (If you are not, make it must read!!!!), and rightfully so. it is one of the most famous poems of all time and easily sits inside of my top 10 (Which might be filled with more Poe than most others). It is a brilliant classic, and sits in the middle of this valuable collection.

Rack my brain as I might, I could not recollect another poem by Thomas, although I distinctly remember him as one who I enjoyed 15-20 years ago. While Do not go gentle certainly highlights this collection for me there are many hidden gems inside of this vault.

There are few that resonated very deeply with me, that I will sing in my heart in the upcoming days/weeks/months.....some of those that touched me on a variety of levels were:

Prolouge
The force that through the green fuse drives the flower
Our eunuch dreams
especially when the October wind
When like a running grave
Light breaks where no sun shines
I fellowed sleep
I have longed to move away
I, in my inricate image
Grief Thief of time
And death shall have no dominion
Fern Hill
Lament
Elegy
Ballad of the Long legged bait

While vision and prayer was not among my favorite, his artistry and brillance of symetry come shining through. I would encourage every poetry lover to seek this out just for examination alone.

Elegy:
On that darkest day. Oh, forever may
he lie lightly, at last, on the last, crossed
Hill, under the grass, in love, and there grow

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Collected Poems.

01/04/2012 page 24