Lillie's Reviews > Hidden Summit

Hidden Summit by Robyn Carr

Jan 17, 12

bookshelves: for-review, i-own, paperback, received-for-promotion, review-copy, series, harlequin-and-imprints
Read from January 04 to 05, 2012

See the full review at: Read My Mind

My Review:
Despite the plethora of books Robyn Carr has published, HIDDEN SUMMIT was my first read by her. This of course, means that I have never been introduced to her Virgin River world, which has flourished since the first book. There are many relationships and characters that have probably grown throughout the series, and I haven't had a chance to immerse myself in their world before now. If I had any reservations about this, they were swiftly put to rest as I read through the first few chapters.

Conner Danson is a great character. He's not flawless by any means. When I first started reading, I definitely understood the chip on his shoulder about the circumstances that led him to Virgin River. By being the type of man that does the right thing, he is forced to leave his old life behind. I really liked that the first sight of each other (Leslie Petruso and himself) is done through his eyes.

It was refreshing to experience a male point-of-view that was quite normal and ordinary. Conner Danson seems like a real guy. His personality and persona jumped off the page, not because he was overbearingly alpha or so breathtakingly sexy, but because Carr wrote his character as a man that I could meet in the real world. As too was Leslie. The dual perspective was enriching and gave me a chance to enjoy both characters equally.

In fact, one of the best parts of HIDDEN SUMMIT is the pace in which the characters meet, are attracted to each other, become friends, and then more. It's just as real as the characters. Sometimes I watch old BBC miniseries', and when I compare them to their slicker, newer Hollywood 2-hour movie, I realize that I miss the older version. For all of its length, I don't feel as if I am being denied any important details. Not everything has to be instant and double time. That more relaxed feeling permeated throughout my reading of the book.

Even with a dash of suspense and danger, HIDDEN SUMMIT was a comfort read for me. This is a book that I will re-read when I need a break. It's my zen, my yoga, and I thoroughly enjoyed my first visit to Virgin River.

4.5/5 for plot
4.5/5 for characters
4/5 for language

My Rating: 13/15 (4 stars) Highly Recommend

Find the author at:
Website | Twitter | GoodReads | Facebook

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Summit.