Justyn Rampa's Reviews > X-Force/Cable: Messiah War

X-Force/Cable by Craig Kyle

Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels, m-u-l-e
Read from January 10 to 11, 2012

This is considered the second volume of the Messiah Trilogy, although there are some gaps to be filled in with the Cable and X-Force titles. However, this massive volume begins with a nice recap of the issues between Messiah CompleX and Messiah War.

As the title suggests, the second volume in the trilogy is mainly an X-Force/Cable affair and despite never being a big reader of either two titles, I followed along just fine. There were many cameos via plot development that were amazing and I won't spoil here for those of you who have not yet read. However, since he is on the cover I will talk about Deadpool.

Deadpool is a wonderful contrasting character. For being such a lethal killer, he is also frakkin' hilarious...if written well. Thankfully, Deadpool is written extremely well in this event and had me laughing out loud several times which I appreciated. Levity is light in the Messiah Trilogy as the fate of mutant-kind apparently rests on a young girl born in the aftermath of the House of M. With mutant-kind dwindling down to 181 mutants, this mutant messiah is seen as a true savior for her people.

Whether she is or not remains to be seen...

The heart of this volume though is really about fathers and their children. At times, those terms are meant very liberally, but they do apply. Despite all of the time travel and violence that occurs, the heart of this story is about paternal relationships and the many assorted complications they bring.

Near the end of this volume we are treated to a three issue origin story on a major player in the Messiah Trilogy which is absolutely fascinating and incredibly well done. The writer manages to capture the wide eyed innocence of a child despite horrific conditions.

As if that were not enough, the back of this volume is full of supplementary material to catch readers up to speed on many of the characters featured in this arc.

I can not say enough about the Messiah Trilogy.

I am two thirds of the way through and I expect this event to be one the best I've ever read!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read X-Force/Cable.

01/10/2012 page 175