Melanie Hierholzer's Reviews > Mallory's Oracle

Mallory's Oracle by Carol O'Connell

Jan 10, 12

it was ok
Read from January 04 to 06, 2012

I needed a beach book after reading The Dream of Scipio and this book fit the bill. The rave blurbs on the back cover were by Nelson DeMille and James Patterson, two of my least favorite authors, so I approached this book with grain of salt firmly in hand.

The main character, Kathleen Mallory, was somewhat interesting, but I got tired of reading how beautiful she was, and what an effect she had on men, and her killer green eyes. Sheesh! Can we have an intelligent female detective who isn't a raving beauty? Someone along the lines of Barbara Havers?

I found Charles Butler to be much more interesting by far. I liked the eidetic memory - a nice touch. I think Carol O'Connell owes more than a nod to Sherlock Holmes in creating this character.

I also enjoyed the fact that some of the perpetrators were elderly women. As a woman of a certain age myself, I appreciated this plot twist. It's always nice to read about feisty old women.

Overall, I enjoyed this book but if I read another of this series, it will be because of Charles Butler, not Mallory.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mallory's Oracle.