Karen's Reviews > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Jul 01, 12

bookshelves: action-packed, looking-forward-to, read-along, to-read, put-on-hold
Recommended to Karen by: Anila

Fuckawesome read along coming along soon...

This is a 1000+ page fantasy so of course, the lovely Cillian is here to read it with me.

Altogether, there's Myself, Cillian, Anila, Palice, Cory, Brandon, Jessie, Monica, Tabitha and Rae.

To those I haven't met yet, hello!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.

04/23/2012 page 84
05/07/2012 page 0
0.0% "So after 2 weeks of neglecting this wonderful book, I returned to see that I remembered nothing. So I'm starting it again. Don't worry though, I'll be quick!"
05/15/2012 page 277
28.0% "Sanderson has a wonderful sense of humor!"
show 1 hidden update…

Anila I am so excited for this you have no idea.
Was just flipping through my copy to see how long chapters were and realized that one of the chapter titles is Cosmere-related foreshadowing. I should apologize in advance for the amount of fangirl squee I will be spewing all over this thread.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Hello! Nice to meet (pretty much all of) you, looking forward to reading this with a group.

Brandon Thanks for letting the new guy join! You have all been very nice and look forward to meeting the rest of you.

message 4: by Choco (new) - added it

Choco I will bring ze chocolates!

message 5: by Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) (last edited Jan 13, 2012 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) ::waves:: Hi. :D

And I agree with wanting to start ASAP. Creeping all over Anila's wonderful reviews today has made me veeerrry eager to reread this one.

message 6: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Hello Jessie! Nice to meet you :3

@ Palice

Yay! We can always count on you to bring the chocos.

@ everyone

Crap. I'm so sorry to be the party pooper here, but I'm afraid the earliest I can start this is towards the end of February. I've got a couple of things planned after I finish my LOTR read along and my schedule is insanely packed.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Karen wrote: "Hello Jessie! Nice to meet you :3

@ Palice

Yay! We can always count on you to bring the chocos.

@ everyone

My party is far from pooped! Just excited. I can't even start it for days because I just loaned it to my dad, so it will probably BE February before I get it back ^_^

Anila I'm good with whenever, really. Don't worry about it, Karen.

(as;dlkgh it is so cool that my reviews make people excited. I will never get over that.)

message 9: by Rae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rae Hi, the wonderful Anila told me I should join along, so may I?

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Cillian wrote: "We have to set a date!
Who wants to set the date?"

Karen said end of February so why not March 1st?

Welcome Rae! Nice to meet you.

message 11: by Choco (last edited Jan 18, 2012 06:09PM) (new) - added it

Choco March is when all my major assignments are due. I will of course try to read along, but if at any point I go missing, it will be because I'm drowning in other stuff.

Would any of you mind if I go missing, but then turned up later and caught up?

message 12: by Choco (new) - added it

Choco Actually, most of them are due by the end of March, but I really don't want any of you to feel like you have to move the dates around for me. If you guys want to start March 1st, then go ahead. I'll be there, but I'll probably disappear for a bit near the end.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Cillian wrote: "Well, Palice, I do appreciate your being so considerate, but IMO, no reader should be left behind (hah).
If no one's opposed to it, I suggest we start April Fools day. It's only one more month, won..."

One more month is nothing and I don't mind the wait at all. April Fools works for me.

message 14: by Choco (new) - added it

Choco I just looked at all my syllabi for classes, and you know what? If we're going to do a chapter each day - or each week, it won't be that hard to manage in March. I just have to be a bit more organized.

If more of you really want March, I'm good with it. But then if more of you want April, that's fine too.
:D

message 15: by Choco (new) - added it

Choco 300 ... pages?
:O

Umm, okay, I'll go with April.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Palice wrote: "300 ... pages?
:O

Umm, okay, I'll go with April."

I hear... trepidation in your ellipses? :D It's dense but very readable. But I agree with Cillian that April would probably be better.

message 17: by Choco (new) - added it

Choco Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "Palice wrote: "300 ... pages?
:O

Umm, okay, I'll go with April."

Lol, it's just that I read around 200 pages each week for my classes - and that's more!

Anila Whoa, whoa, no, the chapters themselves aren't 300 apges - those are the sections, which are different. Chapters are like 10-20 pages in general, or at least the ones in my softcover galley were when I checked.

message 19: by Choco (new) - added it

Choco Anila wrote: "Whoa, whoa, no, the chapters themselves aren't 300 apges - those are the sections, which are different. Chapters are like 10-20 pages in general, or at least the ones in my softcover galley were w..."

Oh, okay. That's much better.

Anila Yes, there are. The parts are huuuuge sections, but within those there are chapters. I believe the whole book actually has close to 70 chapters, and the interludes (which are very short, chapter length or so) don't count.

Anila 75 chapters; I just checked.

Anila *salutes* No problem at all!

Brandon Is this read along still on? Just want to make sure before because I have to give my Library time to find get it to my branch.

let me know!

message 24: by Choco (new) - added it

Choco I'm pretty sure it is.

Right, people? Right? Should we go borrow/buy the book soon?

Anila I'm certainly still in!

Brandon sweet. my wife is picking up my book at the library tomorrow!

Brandon Holy Shnikes, that is a big book!This is going to be a landmark for me. The largest single book i have ever read.

message 29: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen I'm ready too! When should we start?

message 30: by Choco (new) - added it

Choco I gots the book! It's so pretty on the inside! I cheated and read a few pages too.

message 31: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Palice wrote: "I gots the book! It's so pretty on the inside! I cheated and read a few pages too."

You... YOU!

(view spoiler)

How about this? We wait for everyone to report back here, then we'll officially start!

Brandon Palice wrote: "I gots the book! It's so pretty on the inside! I cheated and read a few pages too."

I double checked and didn't see we set a page/part/chapeter goal.

message 33: by Choco (new) - added it

Choco Okay! (Will we be starting on April Fools' day?)

Since this is such a huge book, I'm gonna have to keep track of everything I read, or I'll just be lost in the middle.

message 34: by Choco (new) - added it

Choco Brandon wrote: "woo hoo! i can finally let go of my deep dark seceret. i cheated too *whew* I feel better now..."

Haha! I just wanted to see the writing, that's all.

Yes, we need to set a chapter/page goal. I get confused easily... D:

message 35: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Brandon wrote: "Palice wrote: "I gots the book! It's so pretty on the inside! I cheated and read a few pages too."

..."

How about two chapters a day? Or three? They're not long.

@ Palice

That's the plan, but we still have to wait for everyone else to show up.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) I read the first chapter. Just a quick tease! To get me ready!

message 37: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Cillian wrote: "@all members of Way of Kings club: I already posted this on Karen's review of The Hobbit, but it's only respectful if I also post it here: I won't be joining you.
There's a very good chance that I'..."

:( Let their be no doubt in your mind that you will be sorely missed (Tolkien's been rubbing off on me).

Thanks though! Hopefully you'll join us on the next one.

Anila Hah, all of you seduced by the lovely lovely book. And isn't that first prologue just killer?

Cillian, I'm sorry you won't be joining us, but I hope your trip goes well!

message 39: by Choco (new) - added it

Choco Cillian wrote: "@all members of Way of Kings club: I already posted this on Karen's review of The Hobbit, but it's only respectful if I also post it here: I won't be joining you.
There's a very good chance that I'..."

Anila Aww, double sads and sorries then. But yeah, I think I'd be in for a reread - or if I didn't have time for that, we could do a second-book readalong and I could be your cheerleader while you read the first.

message 41: by Monica! (new) - added it

Monica! Oh, sweet baby Jesus, I forgot we were starting on the 1st. TO THE BOOKSTORE!!!!

Anila Okay, so everyone - how fast do we want to go?

message 43: by Choco (new) - added it

Choco Anila, this is a reread for you, right? How fast do you think we should go?

Anila Uuuum. That's kind of hard for me to answer, because when I read this the first time I took like five months to get through the first half or so and then powered through the rest at top speed. It also depends a lot on schedules. (also, I have an ebook copy so no table of contents which doesn't help)
I'd say a minimum of two chapters a week sounds achievable? Just kind of guessing, though. Other input is necessary.

message 45: by Choco (new) - added it

Choco Two chapters sounds okay to me.

message 46: by Monica! (new) - added it

Monica! I can do two chapters a week, for sure. I'll be gone for a week in April but I can read ahead. :D

Brandon two/week sounds good to me.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) works for me as well :)

message 49: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen That's fine for me too! Two chapters a week it is.

Brandon Are we considering the frist to prologues as the chapters for this week? I want to make sure i don't post anything to early.

« previous 1 3