Tommy's Reviews > Shadowheart

Shadowheart by Tad Williams

Feb 03, 12

Read in February, 2012

This fourth and final volume of the massive "ShadowMarch" series was satisfying and well-wrought. I also read Williams' "Otherland" series, another huge 4-volume epic, and felt just a little disappointed in the final book. Not so with this one, thankfully. It's an exciting tale of warriors and nobles and fairies and gods & goddesses. Williams' work is always so character-driven, though, which is why I love it. I particularly appreciated that some great characters who seemed lost along the way showed up again in very pleasing ways in this last book. The plot is too complicated and many-layered to easily summarize, but if you like George R.R. Martin's "Game of Thrones," then you would probably like this. Williams deals more overtly with magic and the supernatural, creating some terrifying creatures, and eerily unearthly settings. The central protagonist is Briony Eddon, twin sister of Barrick Eddon. She kicks ass, and I rooted for her from the beginning. Williams does an excellent job of showing her growth and maturation process through all the crazy crap she goes through over the course of these 4 books. She's a great hero, whose strengths outweigh her flaws.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowheart.