Jenben8426's Reviews > Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady

Curse of the Blue Tattoo by L.A. Meyer

F_50x66
Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in January, 2012

After her crew from the Dolphin find out that Bloody Jack is actually a girl they know that she must no longer ride with them and drop her off at the elite Lawson Peabody School for Young Girls so that Jacky can become a fine lady. Jacky has dealt with the British Navy, pirates, and had many a swashbuckling adventure, but nothing--nothing could have prepared her for the adventure of becoming a lady. Everything is going wrong and Jacky doesn't understand how she can do any better. As Jacky struggles to find her place in colonial Boston, she begins to make friends in unlikely places and begins to understand who she is a little bit more. Never one to shy away from danger and fun for that matter, Jacky and her blue anchor tattoo are in for another adventure of a lifetime.

I actually really adore Jacky Faber. I think Meyer has done an outstanding job with character development. She actually reminds me of Anne of Green Gables although quite a bit more rough around the edges being a sailor boy and all! Although there were points in time that the book seemed to run a bit long, for the most part it was fun, engaging, and down right funny. A word of warning--Jacky is an orphan from the streets of London and spent two years of her life as a sailor, and she has the mouth to prove it. There is not a ton of swearing--but it is there. I would probably gear this one to older young adults age 15 and up or so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curse of the Blue Tattoo.