Tracie's Reviews > Pigeon Feathers and Other Stories

Pigeon Feathers and Other Stories by John Updike

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: library_book
Read on January 03, 2012

This is the first and only thing I've read by John Updike, and in all honesty, I would not have been able to tell you any fact about him before I read the little wee author blurb at the back of the book. I mean, obviously, I'd heard of him, but I had nothing past the name recognition. So, anyway, Chris got this from the library, and I was restless and couldn't settle into my other two books, so I picked his up to see if I liked his writing style. And I did! I do! After I read the first story, I said to Chris, "Wow, he's really good at writing short stories!" And Chris laughed at me and said that's like someone being pleasantly surprised that Michael Jordan was a good at playing basketball. Again, didn't know anything about the guy. Sometimes it's good to not have any expectations.

I read the whole book in one day, which made me a little quiet and maudlin and introspective, and made it a little hard to sit through the boring parts of Anything Goes, which I had tickets to the same day I read this, so maybe in the future, I'd take it one story at a time. But yay Updike!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pigeon Feathers and Other Stories.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eden (new)

Eden Didn't he write that when he was young? I remember reading the first story in there and being amazed.

message 2: by zan (new)

zan I've never read Updike but I was in an elevator with him once and he smelled like my grandfather. That's my only fact.

Tracie I looked it up, and Pigeon Feathers was published in '62, making Updike 30 years old at the age of publication. So, yeah, super young. Good god, I assumed these were written by a wizened old man!