Karen Mcintyre's Reviews > The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

Jun 27, 08

bookshelves: spirituality
Read in June, 2008

If you can get past the initial assumptions like--
"If I cannot live with myself there must be two of me" nonesense --- there is much worthy of thought --- OH dear there I go thinking and according to Tolle the mind is not my friend! He suggests that the mind uses us for its own purposes rather than our using it to analyze -- in fact part of his formula is not to overthink things! I personally am glad that not everyone buys this idea! A little thought goes a long way to help us see through the garbage we are being sold over the airwaves!

A Hundred years from now people will pick this up and wonder what it was that we saw worthy of spending hours with Oprah
logged-on discussing and listening to others. Still the basic concept -- that we must be present to appreciate all that is merits our full attention. As he points out it is the message of many of the worlds great religions.

His concept that pain is behind all the hatred, guilt, anger, depression,(dare I say evil) and all negitive feelings resonated with me. Jesus says it by saying that we can live out of two things --- fear or love. By suggesting that we live in the now --- accept the present and act on it --- he has a truly empowering thought.

His statement "Because we live in such a mind-dominated culture, most modern art, architecture, music, and literature are devoid of beauty, of inner essence, with very few exceptions." seems a good explanation to me of why so much modern art is so repulsive!

Read it so you will know what everyone is talking about!!

As long as we read everything critically---it is all to the good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Now.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Excellent review!

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Excellent review!

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Excellent review!

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Excellent review!

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Excellent review!

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Excellent review!

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Excellent review!

message 8: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Excellent review!

message 9: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Excellent review!

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Excellent review!

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Excellent review!

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Excellent review!

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Excellent review!

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

message 15: by Dragan (new) - added it

Dragan Atanasov Tolle doesn't discourage you to think and review and use your mind for the good side of it, so don't twist his words when clearly you haven't understood his message. Tolle discourages all the suffering that the mind can produce with its constant identification with objects and content. If we constantly spend time with our mind, it is going to drive us crazy: "you didn't do this, that's why you're miserable" "you need to buy a bigger car to make yourself happy" "he did that to you so you must revenge yourself". That is what Tolle discourages and suggests we replace it with our true essence of living in the present moment, and indeed shining the light of the present moment to the mind, which constantly wants to spend its time in either the past of the future. So, before you can comment on something negatively, and interestingly enough it seems very curiously like your mind actually protesting against its demise, and you don't see that because you're deeply identified with it, you need to read and understand first. All the best!

Elaine This review reminds me how difficult the concept of presence can be when first encountered and how challenging awareness can be to entrained thinking.