Shweta's Reviews > Another Faust

Another Faust by Daniel Nayeri

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: ya-fantasy

Quite a summary and exactly the kind that made me pick it up. With a Faustian theme I was expecting a 5 starrer but somehow book failed to leave that effect. I am in no way saying it is a bad book. It is a well written story but characters failed to hold my attention. During the time I read this book , I was never felt compelled to just sit and finish it in one go or even very curious to get back to it .

Bice , was a character I would have liked to know more about . She being very vital to the plot wasn't allowed a lot into the main story line initially not as much as I wanted to see her. It was as if, they left everything for the last few pages to tie up and tell us about her abilities . I liked the way Victoria's story was told. Her quest for being the best academically was wonderfully done even though at times her tactics made me squirm. Madame Vileroy was nothing of the sort I liked to read about. She wasn't scary or devilish or even interesting. Faustian theme with such a non attractive devil didn't go well with the story. At least for me.

My friend who read this before me( she went by the cover and bought it ), felt this needed a better epilogue and a much neater closure. I echo her judgment on the hurried ending . The authors are planning more books on other classic themes set in the same Marlowe school . It remains to see if they use these characters or is this the last of the Fausts we see in the series.

I for one would definitely want them in the next book. If you like modern takes on classic lit themes Another Faust is a good choice. I would love to read more by these authors even though this book didn't register much on my radar.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Faust.