Christina Marie Rau's Reviews > Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin

Official Book Club Selection by Kathy Griffin

Jan 04, 12

Reading through Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According To Kathy Griffin is like going to Kathy Griffin's stand-up show for $25 plus tax. It's also like watching one of her stand-up specials on tv for $25 plus tax. So in one sense, it's a bargain. In another sense, not so much.
In any case, most of the book is like her stand-up. She weaves stories. Her act isn't joke-punchline-joke-punchline. It's a narrative, a one-sided discussion with an animated friend who may talk about you behind her back. So the book is a natural extension of that.
Additionally, she discusses stuff that is not celebrity related. She opens up about what really happened to end her marriage. She also divulges the truth about her brother. These are things that are interesting, but are also none of my business. I don't read celebrity gossip rags, so I'm not into this kind of information. Still, this is a memoir and I signed up for it.
The best thing I got out of this book is the notion that I should never get liposuction, no matter how badly I sometimes want it. I look at my thighs and figure, hmmmm a little less jiggle would go a long way. Then I look at her pictures and figure, hmmmmm a little jiggle is better than a lot of bruising. Then I remember her story about having to be cathaterized several times afterwards and her almost going into septic shock and figure, hmmmm a little jiggle is better than being dead. So thank you, Kathy Griffin, for getting botched surgery. I hope that surgeon wakes up one day with a retracted penis that never comes out again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Official Book Club Selection.