Stacey Pagan's Reviews > Kiss of Frost

Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Jan 04, 12

Read in December, 2011

Kiss of Frost, the second novel in The Mythos Academy series, once again showcases Gwen Frost. In the first novel Gwen learns that her Gypsy abilities are about more than just touching and seeing. She comes to find out that her abilities will be soon put to the test to keep the evil god Loki in the underworld prison.

In Kiss, Gwen is learning how to fight reapers in order to protect not only herself, but the world in general, as she is the Nike Champion. In the beginning, she’s not so hot with a sword, archery, or any other type of weapon, dropping them more often them hitting someone. However, she and her best friend Daphne, realize she may be able to hone in on the skills by using her gypsy gift (this reminded me of the TV series CHUCK, where he is able to see what he needs to do by ‘flashing’) and soon Gwen is placing arrows smack dab in the middle of the target, compliments of Daphne’s skills.

When the students head up to the mountain for winter carnival, Gwen is trying to do her best to keep Logan off of her mind (see book 1), and falls for another student from the New York academy. We realize during this novel that this student isn’t cracked up to be who he portrays himself as. Gwen is able to hone in on Logan’s weapons skills and defeats the student in a battle of weapons.

This series is an excellent YA series that I have been enjoying and look forward to the next novel! I recently read that it has been expanded to six novels, which I feel will be the perfect number of novels to set up, expand and close this story line. I anxiously await to see what happens to Gwen in the next novel. Will she and Logan part ways again, or will Logan put away his bad boy routine and settle down with Gwen? What will happen she he learns that Gwen knows his secret? Is Daphne as pure as we are lead to believe? What about Collin, the band geek? So many questions, so long to wait

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Frost.