Chelsea's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Jan 04, 2012

bookshelves: magic, uf-pnr, vampires, suggested-series-firsts, smexy
Read from June 05 to 08, 2012

This review was originally posted at Vampire Book Club.

As a long-time fan of Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress series, I can’t believe I’m about to say this. Vlad, the hero of Once Burned, gives Bones a run for his money.

Readers of the Night Huntress series (first book: Halfway to the Grave) have met Vlad — as in the basis for Dracula, but please don’t mention it to him. We’ve seen him flex his master vampire skills — pyrokinesis and mindreading. But he’d never been one to make my knees go all gooey. Apparently that was just because we hadn’t had any time alone together.

Vlad is ruthless and incredibly loyal. These traits assure safety to those under his protection, and that means Leila. She’s clever and engaging as a heroine. I quickly liked her, and liked even more that she pushes Vlad’s buttons. A childhood accident has left her with preternatural abilities. First, anyone who touches her gets shocked with electricity. (Vlad can’t burn, so she can touch him. And she does.) Second, if she touches that person with her right hand, she’ll get a glimpse of his or her past/present/future. She can force these premonitions by touching objects as well.

Vlad understands just how valuable Leila would be to the vampire community. He protects her and encourages her to help him find others hunting her. The plot is twisty enough to keep you curious with a nice mystery element, but the core of Once Burned is Vlad and Leila.

The chemistry between Vlad and Leila is overwhelming and heart-stopping and real. He’s an incredibly protective alpha type. She’s a strong woman used to being on the run. She forces him to listen. He makes her quit running. And there is plenty of “mine” and blood and sexytimes.

If you want a can’t-put-it-down-even-to-eat paranormal romance, pick up Once Burned. Even if you haven’t read the Night Huntress books — which, really, you should — you will get wrapped up in Vlad and Leila’s story. Promise.

Sexual content: Graphic sex

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

06/07/2012 page 215
56.0% "Vlad is stealing my heart. Oh, Bones has some competition here. Swoon."

Elizabeth Ziko So jealous!!!

Karen bragger...lol

Scandal killing me softly with this one! can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!

Jenese (Readers Confession) Nice. Definitely jealous too!

Debra Been waiting a long time for Vlad's book!