Riobhcah's Reviews > Love in a Headscarf

Love in a Headscarf by Shelina Zahra Janmohamed

Jan 08, 12

Read in January, 2012

It was a real test of endurance to read the first half of this book. However, with the second half it improved tremendously. I loved it when Shelina climbed Kilimanjaro because it was something which, according to her Aunt, was something that "nice girls just don't do!" Bravo! Good for her. And she is correct when she states that we need to follow our spiritual inclinations when they clash with societal conventions, i.e. "the way it's always been done." At least we need to ask ourselves "Why has it always been done and is it a good thing to continue?" rather than to mindlessly continue just because everyone else always has. And it was very interesting how she used Khadija, the first wife of the Prophet Muhammad(pbuh), as her example, considering what she (Khadija) did to question the limits put on women, especially those that derive from culture rather than from our faith. Overall, it turned out to be a good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in a Headscarf.