Agatha's Reviews > The Chinese in America: A Narrative History

The Chinese in America by Iris Chang

F_50x66
Jan 09, 12

Read from January 04 to 09, 2012

A very extensive narrative of the history of Chinese immigration in America, beginning around the mid-1800s (helping to build the transcontinental railroad) up to present time. Even though it’s nonfiction, it’s very, very readable. I personally found it fascinating. It was particularly interesting to read U.S. history thru a different lens, as if listening to a well-told story this time from a new story teller. Fascinating – and really instructive. A lot of Americans who feel threatened by Chinese immigration – or who view them as “johnny-come-latelies” in the U.S.-- should read this book. But I suppose it would not hold as much personal interest for the general American reader. :( Oh well. I suppose I can understand that. :(

Anyway, the author herself is a fascinating study; she has also written The Rape of Nanking which is also very highly esteemed. Unfortunately, she committed suicide while researching her next book, based upon the Bataan Death March. It seems she overworked herself and fell into depression and paranoia. :( Truly a really sad and tragic loss. :( I want to look for her RoN book and also a biography about her. (Matthew had heard of her before I had; when he saw this book, he said, “Isn’t she the one who committed suicide?” I didn’t know that sad aspect of her story but looked it up and then learned the rest of her history. :()

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chinese in America.