Anna's Reviews > Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef

Blood, Bones & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton

Jan 04, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read from January 05 to 15, 2012

For the past ten days, every time I have gotten into my car, Gabrielle Hamilton has told me another story from her life, usually involving food or family or both. Initially put off by the harshness of her early years, and the unimaginable circumstances of it, I found myself slowly seduced by her descriptions. I think the book would be a fine one to read on paper, but to have her read it to you is exquisite. How else will you hear the smile in her voice or the inflections that are so much a part of her speech patterns that I was pleased to hear them again when I watched a clip of her on TV from after the book release?

This memoir about food and family has done what all good memoirs about food and family are supposed to do: make me fall in love with food and family, even food and family that are utterly foreign to me. I can't wait to read more of her writing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood, Bones & Butter.

01/06/2012
01/14/2012
90.0% "I don't want it to end!"
01/15/2012