Michael's Reviews > Rabbits in the Garden

Rabbits in the Garden by Jessica McHugh

M_50x66
Jan 29, 12

Read in January, 2012

Rabbits had me pulled into its narrative by the end of chapter 1. For me, it's rare to read a book that can be so addicting while at the same time vaulting me through emotions that make me feel for all of the characters in a good and bad way. I don't think I've ever despised a character as much as the antagonist, while at the same time feeling for the main character and all her ups and downs, pulling for her throughout the book. Watching the protagonist learn about life in the confines of a 1950s insane asylum creates a parallel for those who learn about life in the comforts of our current existence: that, no matter what, life is not fair, and it is our drive, passion, and above all else, our friendships, that can get us through the bad times and help us celebrate the good ones.

Rabbits is a page-turner, I finished in less than a day, and found myself haunted by the book and revisiting it even a couple days after I picked up a new book. To say that this is a "Thriller" is to say that the Pyramids are buildings; I challenge anyone to read this book and not feel anger, frustration, and even a bit of hatred. Those looking for a feel-good story should probably look elsewhere.

In any case, I enjoyed my stay at Taunton Asylum, and I'm sure you will, too.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rabbits in the Garden.