Micah McCarty's Reviews > Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet by Susan Cain

Jan 04, 2012

Read from February 23 to 28, 2012

Excellent book. There was not much "new" in the book, especially for one who considers himself an introvert. There were numerous ideas that I will take away from this book, though:

1- There was a section about mega churches and evangelicalism as a whole and one of the quotes from an introverted church staff member was that they knew they were an introvert in an extroverted society and they felt that "God was not pleased with me." I remember feeling this same way as a kid in church.

2- Education is (and has been for a while) moving completely toward group education. The saddest fact (besides the fact that introverts prefer alone time) is that most of current science proves that serious study alone is the strongest predictor of success. The example used was with chess players but she goes on to show how it carries far beyond the chess world.

3- Group brainstorming is a pretty terrible idea scientifically. But online brainstorming works remarkably well.

4- "Free Trait Theory"- the idea that we are born and culturally endowed with personality traits- introversion- but we can and do act out of character in the service of core personal projects. The importance of a "free trait agreement"- acknowledges that we'll each act out of character some of the time in exchange for being ourselves the rest of the time. Explains how I could be a gregarious youth pastor for several years and look just like an extrovert. No one knew I would hide in my office after each Sunday service and relish the quiet while my soul caught back up with me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet.

05/26/2016 marked as: read