Jeanette's Reviews > Dark Matter: A Ghost Story

Dark Matter by Michelle Paver

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: the-brits
Read in January, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Jack Miller, a poor, lonely Londoner is selected to join five men and a group of huskies on an expedition to the Arctic for a year. The group arrives during the idyllic and bright summer months, naive and excited to begin work. As winter approaches, Jack Miller finds himself left alone at the camp and must brace the long dark weeks ahead by himself with only the dogs to keep him company.

As night devours the land, Jack starts to see a "malevolent" man in the distance, a presence that haunts him more as the winter draws closer. Jack also confesses a love for Gus, one of the crew who became ill and had to leave the camp. Gus is Jack's inspiration to stay strong and hold down the fort until the rest of the crew returns.

I really liked how Michelle Paver paints a picture of what it was like in the Arctic during the 1930s - an unexplored, mysterious terrain. A land so dark and isolated during the winter, that it drives people mad.

The ghost story was exciting, though a tad unbelievable and made it more of a supernatural read. Personally, I prefer more realist stories, but I knew this getting into the novel as it clearly states "A Ghost Story" on the cover.

I wasn't crazy that Michelle Paver turned it into a love story. I didn't feel this was a needed element, and didn't really find it believable anyway considering Jack Miller's initial reaction to the group.

A thrilling, fast paced read, just not entirely believable. Would definitely recommend though for a bit of entertainment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Matter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Craig I agree with this review and found the affection shown for Gus a little uncomfortable due to the clumsy nature of it. I didn't really read it as a "crush" induced friendship, more of an "in awe of Gus" thing!

It did make me feel eerie at points though and it is definitely worth a read.