Jane's Reviews > From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant

From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant by Alex Gilvarry

Jan 28, 12

Read from January 27 to 28, 2012

This books tells the story of Boy Hernandez, a budding fashion designer, whose career is indefinitely derailed when he is indefinitely detained on account of his involvement with a terrorist (the "terrorist" part being something of which he was previously unaware, due to his admittedly staggering naivete). It details his life leading up to detainment, and then detainment itself, with a short afterword.
I feel that the question this book is ultimately asking (what are the consequences of an imperfect justice system, or lack of any real system within detainment) are not new - just yesterday I heard the story about that man who was released from prison after being cleared of a crime he was convicted of 16 years ago (!) at age 13 - though I will readily admit that anything this political is certainly outside my normal reading range. What I do find unique and immediate is the way this book approaches that question: the format (the faux memoir) and Boy's voice, which I found immediately likable and very engaging. The story, and Boy, will likely stay with me for a while.
I read this in about 24 hours, so if nothing else, that certainly says something for this book's ability to keep me turning pages! It is certainly not a light story- regardless of the reviews that mention how funny it is - but somehow is a quick read. And a thought-provoking one.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant.

01/27/2012 page 96