Chris Forbes's Reviews > Up And Running: The Inspiring True Story Of A Boy's Struggle To Survive And Triumph

Up And Running by Mark Patinkin

Apr 08, 2012

Read from December 10, 2011 to January 03, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 2

Up and Running by Mike Patinkin

1. This book begins in a town just outside of Providence, Rhode Island in the year 1997, but the family’s battle goes on for much longer.

2. In this inspiring story, a nine year-old boy named Andrew Bateson becomes ill on one normal 4th of July. His mother, Rebecca and his father Scott don't assume that it's anything out of the ordinary. Just a child with a high fever and that is the cause of him feeling tired. Andrew’s symptoms worsen and his illness gets more severe. He goes to the hospital thinking that his stay will be brief, but soon finds out news that will change his life forever. Andrew goes into a coma and his family is about to find out that he has Bacterial Meningitis, but that it is treatable and if acted upon fast enough, they can rid him of the disease. Then they found out what the cure was…amputation of their little boy’s legs from the knee down. Suddenly, Scott and Rebecca’s hearts drop; all of their hopes and dreams that they had for their son might not come true. After Andrew becomes conscious, he finds out about his legs having to be amputated and how his hands need to become fully functional again from being clutched for so long because of his coma. It’s a long, strenuous, and tiring road for Andrew to become functional again, but a very inspiring one that proves that anyone can do anything with some determination.

3. This book should most certainly be on a recommended reading list for high school students because it’s very inspiring and shows how you should be thankful for what you have; family, friends, and especially health. It may appeal to some teenagers because it may trigger the interests of some who enjoy inspiring tales, or who are interested in the affects of different illnesses. This is very good reading and you do get hooked. Once your hear Andrew’s story, you just don’t want to put it down until you know that everything turns out all right. The theme of this story is to show how we should feel lucky to have everything we’re given. I really enjoyed reading this because I found it very interesting and was a good, true story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up And Running.

message 1: by Jessica Camara (new)

Jessica Camara Great review! I cannot possibly begin to imagine what this family went through. I had been looking at a set of photojournalism books that were donated to the library recently and there was a story of a young boy (probably around 9 or 10), who had gone to McDonald's to eat with his friends. While sitting in the restaurant, a car lost control and crashed through the wall - coming to a stop on the legs of this young boy. Consequently, he had to have his legs amputated as well. The book I looked at only contained a brief photo spread documenting the boys story, but it really made me stop and think about how quickly life can change and how, as you mentioned, we need to stop sometimes and just feel grateful for the positives in our lives. Just out of curiosity, what made you choose this title?