Dee's Reviews > My Life Next Door

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012-releases, i-must-own, mi-gusto, read-in-2012, ya-contemporary, all-time-favorites
Read from July 21 to August 05, 2012

4.5
I really liked this book. I would say this is honestly one of the most refreshing reads of 2012 that I have come across. It lingered on my mind moments after reading it, and that's always a good thing for me. The writing was raw and real, and everything a teen contemporary romance should be. This book is about the romance between two people from different social classes. Sam was a strong and an admirable character. Her decisions were clear, and she always knew what she wanted. What I loved the most about her is how she has all the qualities you could possibly want, yet she's so seemingly unaware of it, and she always puts others first before herself. Jase, on the other hand always put family first, but at the same time, he also knew how to balance his relationships. The biggest element that stood out in the book was how mature the characters were, and how capable they were of handling setbacks and bouncing back anyway. They did not whine, there was no immature teenage drama/angst from the two of them. This book was really well written. The flow/pacing, the detailing, the characterization--it was all very well thought of. My expectations for this book weren't exactly answered (I expected it to be angst-y, quirky and funny), but I loved it anyway.

I highly recommend this book. If you are into genuine romances without the cliché 'breaking-up-because-of-an-ex' stuff, a balance between a family-centered and a romantic read, then all the more reason to read this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life Next Door.

07/21/2012 page 50
13.0% "Samantha reed kind of resembles Samantha Kingston from before I Fall. Except, she's less mean."
08/05/2012 page 371
94.0% "Sam and Jase are two of the most genuine teen characters I have ever come across. Both so real.."
08/05/2012 page 371
94.0% "This is such a comforting book. It was just raw and real..and the depth is something that just effortly comes out."
show 2 hidden updates…