Aimee's Reviews > Poughkeepsie

Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia

Aug 16, 12

bookshelves: emotional, contemporary
Read from August 15 to 16, 2012

Don't let the "omg its fanfic" people dissuade you from reading this book. I didn't even make the connection until I was 70% through it and saw some of the other reviews. And this is from someone who would rather gouge her eye out with a melon baller than have anything to do with the original book that some of it was supposedly inspired by.

My favorite parts of this book were: how the characters stayed true to themselves, their tragic back stories, and how Blake's entire premise played out with Livia (and how different he is from the character he's supposedly based on), the author's writing style, every word that came out of Kyle's mouth, Mouse

My *shrugs* were: the melodrama (kind of a soap opera, but in a good way.. sometimes), the sexual aspects, the Homeleth Humper.

My problems were: how much the story changed type and pace, from sweet romance to crazy action novel, to over the top dual-*redacted* endings, Chris' entire existence, distractions from the main characters

I think the author has a definite style and could write interesting stories, if she sticks to her main characters a bit more and doesn't leave General Hospital on in the background on writing days. This is a compliment, honest; the absurd parts of this story distracted from her genuine talent to make me feel for all of the 6 principals in the story. I love action stories, i just need the excitement to be consistent! I'll be curious to see what she does writing from scratch!

Note: I received a free promotional copy of this book and was not paid for any portion of this review. It's my own words.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poughkeepsie.

Quotes Aimee Liked

Debra Anastasia
“He kept his head down in what seemed to be a prayer. “He counts. You’ve smiled at him four hundred and forty-six times as of a few minutes ago. He announces the number every time I see him.”

Debra Anastasia
“We’re going to find your hobo. We’re going to work hard—work nights. Liv, we’re going to put our balls into it.” She hugged her tightly.

“When did we get balls?” Livia loved her ridiculous sister.

“Just now.”

Debra Anastasia
“And I will never, ever lose count.”

08/16/2012
08/16/2012
100.0% "What an... Interesting book!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gen (new)

Gen Is it worth the 4.99 as an ebook?