Jianne's Reviews > Al Capone Shines My Shoes

Al Capone Shines My Shoes by Gennifer Choldenko

Jan 14, 2012

bookshelves: library-books, fangirl-for
Read from January 10 to 13, 2012

Al Capone Shines My Shoes is an interesting, enjoyable and light read.

Excerpt form the book

Nothing is the way it’s supposed to be when you live on an island with a billion birds, a ton of bird crap, a few dozen rifles, machine guns and automatics and 278 of America’s worst criminals—“the cream of the criminal crop” as one of our felons likes to say. The convicts on Alcatraz are rotten to the core, crazy in the head, and as slippery as eels in axle grease. And then there’s me. Moose Flanagan. I live on Alcatraz along with 24 other kids and one more on the way. My father works as a prison guard and an electrician in the cell house up top. I live where most of us “civilians” do in 64 building which is dockside on the East side of Alcatraz—a base hit from the mobster Al Capone.

Not many 12-year-old boys can say that. Not many kids can say when their toilet is stopped up, they get Seven Fingers, the Ax Murderer, to help them out, either ...

Likes

Best thing?

PIPER AND MOOSE!

Even if Piper is annoying. Moose is becoming the "ladies-man" how adorable and cute! And guess what? Al Capone makes his appearance! And well, all of the things happened in Alcatraz. None in school. Looker, Okey-dokey and Aunties. ^^

Unlikes

I am just confused what does Al Capone mean by "good job" and Jimmy, Scott and Theresa are pretty annoying in this book. And how the prisoners escape, I don't really get that too. Still some dull scenes. Like the visit to Nat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Al Capone Shines My Shoes.