Crystal's Reviews > A Deadly Game of Magic

A Deadly Game of Magic by Joan Lowery Nixon

Jan 19, 12

To me Nixon is reminicent of R.L. Stine. This book is a horror mystery and keeps you wondering till the end. What makes this story particularly unique is that it centers around a magician giving insider info on typical magic tricks and illusions. The characters are highschoolers all anxious to impress their parents and live out lives that have been pre-planned for them-this is a consistent struggle between the very different but stereotypical characters; football player, closet male dancer, black female, and youngest sibling. Both books that I have read by Nixon have dealt with characters coming of age (struggling to decide on their future after high school) and have had G rated romance; one that is just blossoming and in that awkward stage. Overall I think this is a good book for a junior high school reader who is just getting into reading horror. It's not too scary, is a rather quick read and is age appropriate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Deadly Game of Magic.