Kimberly's Reviews > Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Jan 10, 12

Read from January 04 to 10, 2012

I was not aware of the round-up at the Vél d’Hiv in France but had read Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky which also told of the heartless actions of the French against their own countryman.

Sarah's Key tells the story of Sarah a ten-year old girl taken by french police in 1942 and the story of Julia, an american expat living in Paris in 2006. I found it interesting how the alternating story lines came together in the middle. The story of Sarah is a heart wrenching tale and the story of Julia is also sad in a modern way.

I was disappointed with Julia's cliché French husband which reminded me of the character Henri from Private Benjamin. How can French men maintain this position of incredibly attractive and complete arses? I would have liked more examples and details to support this story line.

The moral of this story seems to be, mind your own business, close your eyes to everything that displeases you and you can continue your life without interruption but if you dig around, stir the pot, open Pandora's box you will bring sorrow to everyone you know.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.