Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)'s Reviews > Stay with Me

Stay with Me by Paul Griffin

Jan 05, 12

Read from January 03 to 04, 2012

Cece (pronounced Che-Che) is on the track to make something out of her life other than popping out babies and waitressing on the wrong side of town. Mack is a high-school dropout who has a talent with dogs, but can't look people in the eyes. Neither wanted to go out with the other - but when Cece's brother Tony goes into the Army they begin to connect like he said they would. It starts with Mack walking Cece home from work at Vic's Too, the diner they both work at. Then they work to rehabilitate a pitbull together. Slowly, they fall in love and plan their future. But when Mack does something unforgiveable it all begins to fade away. How will their story end? The best word to describe this book is bittersweet. I began this one with expectations of another book like Perfect Chemistry, and ended up with a book that left me sort of cold. I immediately felt like I was reading S.E. Hinton because of the way Mack talks and how REAL he felt to me - but I can't say the same for Cece. I was pretty disappointed with how distanced I was from her character's feelings and problems. I fell in love with Mack (but it fizzled near the end of the book) and I loved Carmella, Vic and Tony as well. But Cece was keeping herself apart from me, and that makes for no easy affair with a book where she's the main character. The way Mack interacted with the Pits and was like a dog whisperer was pure gold though! It made me miss my dog (who's been gone for 7 years) and made me want to finally get another one. You could tell Griffin really knew his way around animals! :) It was well-written and it kept me reading to the end, but it left me feeling numb.

VERDICT: 3/5 Stars

*No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book is now available in stores and online.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stay with Me.

01/03/2012 page 53
01/03/2012 page 53
17.0% "This book reminds me a lot of 'The Outsiders' with the style of writing and the realness of the characters. Loving it so far! :)"