Darrell's Reviews > Origins: How the Nine Months Before Birth Shape the Rest of Our Lives

Origins by Annie Murphy Paul

M 50x66
Jun 19, 2012

Recommended to Darrell by: My sister.
Recommended for: People thinking of having children. Best read before pregnancy.
Read from January 03 to 05, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** I really enjoyed the writing style of this book. I have a highly tangential nature - that is I tend to wander off on tangents. Annie's writing is similar and goes into great detail on each tangent. Unlike me (thankfully), Annie comes back to her original topics.

The chapters of the book, named One Month, Two Months, etc. seem a little more like segments than actual ties of information in each chapter to the specific month. The information itself is invaluable as are the incredibly detailed notes and references sections in the back. Since I like to be able to verify various claims, the detailed references are invaluable.

I found the last chapter in the book to be a total letdown. *** Spoiler Alert *** She spends nine chapters providing evidence against scheduled hospital births with epidurals. Then she goes and has one done and appears to do a 180 degree about-face in the last few pages. WTF?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Origins.