Katie Wudel's Reviews > Lucking Out: My Life Getting Down and Semi-Dirty in the Seventies

Lucking Out by James   Wolcott

Jan 26, 12

liked it
Read from January 03 to 26, 2012

I so much wanted to love this book. For 100 pages or so, I did. I confess, I'm a hopeless sucker for New York stories, having lived one myself. People think New Yorkers are vain for talking about themselves all the time; all books these days, it seems, are about NYC. But it is such a strange thing to live here, to try to "make it" here, and I was instantly charmed by James' story of first moving to New York and truly finding some sort of "in" at the Village Voice--back when that really mattered. But over the course of the book, we move away from James' personal story, and into something that's half-criticism/half-name-dropping, and although I love Patti Smith and the Talking Heads, I longed for something more real. I enjoyed the book more at the end, and the bits about the ballet reminded me of my favorite grad school professor, Cooley Windsor, but ultimately, I would have rather had a real memoir, rather than a story-about-CBGB's that skimmed over surfaces and didn't seem to reveal the truth of anything. At times an amazing book; mostly lackluster. I'm sort of bummed.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucking Out.