Deb's Reviews > The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance

The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker

2080212
Jan 03, 12

The following are the things I would like to remember from this book: Don't read these if you don't want spoilers:
"I even have one of those Remember Who You Are key chains. I've never used mine though; I was always worried someone would see it and think I had Alzheimer's.

At the age of six, I wondered when I would graduate from church. To my dismay, I was told that the word to describe being done with church was death.

This is a memoir so I am curious how much of it is true. If her father is described correctly he sounded fun. He would line them up from tallest to shortest, after seeing the Sound of Music. (I'm surprised my Dad didn't do this. Did he? I think I may have used my key chain. :)
He took them to the neighbors with squirt guns and held up cereal boxes "Hands up, we yelled, We're the cereal killers!"
They moved to Spain and one summer drove through 25 countries. They never made plans. One time they dropped the kids off at a carpet factory and they had to work with a while with the other children. They learned to appreciate what they had. She could never figure out why it was fair that she had more than they did.
One time her aunt asked her when she was going to give up her big dreams and settle down. She didn't think the words "give up" and "settle" were inspiring to her.
Crush is the perfect word to describe a crush because it simultaneously means to have a brief infatuation with someone unattainable" and "to be violently squashed."
She goes to New York and works as a toy demonstrator. Her descriptions of the antics they thought up at the doll adoption place were hilarious.
She mentions being offered drinks and how she would say to herself, "Is it worth it to put yourself in the position of being addicted to something? The entire purpose of life on earth is to make choices, and addiction limits your freedom of choices."
New Years Eve, She proceeded to make a list of everything missing from her life. To cheer herself up. hahah.
When you're trying to change, every good decision you make adds up, and saying no gets easier because each day you have more evidence that you can.
Impossible is Nothing. Impossible is just a big word thrown ar9ound by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declarations. It's a dare. impossible is potential. impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.
She talks about being with people who drink and described feeling like Will Smith in "I am Legend" only without the dog.
She mentions that every member of every family plays a specific role. I think that is true. She said sometimes when you attempt to change your role, it is very hard to do, and how when you change in one area of your life you open yourself up to changing in all the others.
I need to find out where "Adonis Bath" is in Greece. You can't put paradise in a tour book, you have to discover it! So true!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance.