Katy's Reviews > The Fire Wars

The Fire Wars by Kailin Gow

Jan 03, 2012

liked it
Read in January, 2012

3.5 stars - Gah! How can a book just end like that?!?!

I was really excited to receive this paperback ARC in the mail, and I think the story really has promise. Unfortunately, I found myself only liking it and not loving it.

I liked the concept of myth about the gods of fire and water and the goddess lover, but I'm still confused about what the myth is REALLY about. I mean, I know what the book said, but we're told one thing, and then we're told another. And by the end of the book, we've learned a little bit about the mystery, but we're hearing conflicting facts, and we don't know what to believe.

Which brings me to the point of the end. I get that Gow wants to leave us with a cliffhanger, but the end was so abrupt that you're left wondering if there was more to the book that you're missing. A lot of times, books will be written with some type of closure and a cliffhanger of what's going to happen next. Here, you're progressing along, and then the story just stops.

I don't mind love triangles, and I liked how Mac is presented with the choice of should she go with the one who's like her or how they say opposites attract - that is, assuming she is the goddess.

But what I did not like is how Mac handled herself. I know she's torn between the attraction she feels for Chance and Varun, and I don't blame her one bit. But even though she's not exclusive with either, she was basically two-timing them. A kiss or two is one thing, but she keeps going back and forth. It sort of made me lose respect for her.

Even though I'm left with a lot of questions, I liked this book, and I am eager to find out what happens next, especially since Gow left us with such a cliffhanger. The sequel comes out in a few weeks, so I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fire Wars.