Steve Woods's Reviews > Buddhism: The Religion of No-Religion

Buddhism by Alan W. Watts

Jan 03, 2012

bookshelves: buddhism, life-changers, meditation
Read from April 19 to July 05, 2012

This book is a classic example of Alan Watts' ability to condense complex subjects into bight sized easily digestible lumps, a bit like a good Belgian chocolate. That ability probably makes him the most accessible author writing on Buddhism and related philosophy either past or present. This particular book can serve not only as a revelation to the neophyte, but a kind of concordance offering crystal clarity around the myriad lists that traditional Buddhist teaching contains. Like Alexander's sword it cuts through the Gordian knot of confusion that can be overwhelming for someone starting out on this path and in that respect it has great value.

Would that I had found it at the commencement of my own journey to help me make sense of the strangest ideas I had ever heard, ideas that were at the same time irresistable to me, their pure pragmatism dragged me out of my cage and into the flow. Watts' works should be prescribed reading in every, university, college and high school in our land. Were it so we might be able to begin the process of reclaiming our lives from the insanity being perpetrated on us by our schools, our mono theistic religious dogma, our governments and our economies; that might provide a slight hope for the spiritual survival of the human race. Otherwise.....?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buddhism.