Jann Barber's Reviews > The Weird Sisters

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

Jan 05, 12

Read from January 03 to 04, 2012 — I own a copy

I was struck by a few sentences spoken by the character of Father Aidan on page 305 of my copy of this book: "There are times in our lives when we have to realize our past is precisely what it is, and we cannot change it. But we can change the story we tell ourselves about it, and by doing that, we can change the future."

I liked the book and the interactions between the sisters/the sisters and their parents/the sisters and non-family members. It did seem as if some of the character traits or scenes were a bit exaggerated. The author used commonly believed ideas about the effects of birth order on personalities to develop her characters. At times, some of the interactions seemed two-dimensional to me.

On the other hand, I do believe that we often revert back to habits and interactions of childhood when returning to the nest of the family, no matter what our age. Memories of smells from childhood can have great impact when experienced as an adult. These scenes seemed truer to me than some of the others.

The need to be needed and the fact that our parents won't live forever also play parts in the unfolding of this story.

I enjoyed reading it, but I don't know that this is a book I will keep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weird Sisters.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sharman Wilson Amen to that quote!

Eileen That is the only passage I underlined in the book. It struck a chord with me too!