Kate Hastings's Reviews > A Thousand Never Evers

Jan 01, 09

bookshelves: historicalfictionj, middle-school
Recommended for: Grades 4-8 civil rights african-americans
Read in January, 2009

A painfully beautiful story of a 12 year-old African-American girl coming of age in a small Mississippi town in 1963.

Addie Ann Pickett lives a good life. They live in a snug home with dirt that peeps through the floor boards. Her daddy died before she was born, her brother works taking in the harvest and she and her Mama work taking care of rich white folks in their homes. She and her brother attend school, walking past white schools three miles to get junior high. But her whole life changes when the old white man they work for dies-- and leaves his massive garden to the entire community (black and white)-- to grow food for all to enjoy.

Has it really only been 45 years since the Civil Rights Act was passed? I always want to cry when I read about the injustices taking place only a generation before I was born. Much progress has been made, though injustices exacerbated by socio-economic status still divide our country. A reminder that the fight is not over, and that young and old need to remember that we must be the change we want to see in the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Never Evers.

message 1: by Tamara (new)

Tamara I love the idea of equality by gardening! I just ran across a website called Fallen Fruit that lobbies for the planting of fruit trees in public places so that anyone who's hungry can eat. Crazy, huh? http://www.fallenfruit.org/

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Tamara wrote: "I love the idea of equality by gardening! I just ran across a website called Fallen Fruit that lobbies for the planting of fruit trees in public places so that anyone who's hungry can eat. Crazy, h..."

What a wonderful idea! I'm actually kind of ashamed of myself for not thinking of something like that.