Katie(babs)'s Reviews > Unravel Me

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Oct 14, 12

** spoiler alert ** I’m such a fan girl of Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me series. Regardless of the over the top flowery prose and the plot that you have to suspend your disbelief with, Tahereh has me hook, line and sinker about a young woman who can kill anyone by touching them, including her unreachable dream of being normal and finding someone who can love her without their fear of dying of a horrible pain by her hands.

Unravel Me is the sequel that picks up right after the events of Shatter Me. Juliette, the abused outcast has been rescued and is in a better place thanks to the rebels of Omega Point who want to bring down the Reestablishment. The people at Omega Point have powers like Juliette does (think of a heavily X-Men influence here). But Juliette isn’t fitting in at all. She fells trapped and alone even with Adam, the man she fell head over heels in love with, who rescued her from Warner, the son of the leader of the Reestablishment. Warner is obsessed with Juliette and will do whatever he can to make her love him and transform her into the ultimate fighting weapon. Adam can touch Juliette, as well as Warner. Juliette keeps Warner a secret, afraid to even tell Adam that Warner can touch her without getting sick or dying, just like Adam. But Adam can only touch Juliette for short periods of times. No one knows why. Adam is open to be experimented on even though Juliette is against it. If it’s true that Adam can’t touch her for no more than a few minutes, she’ll be all alone again.

The powers that be at the Omega Point aren’t happy with Juliette, and don’t like how close she and Adam are. They feel she’s a bad influence on Adam. Juliette has to decide if it’s in Adam’s best interests to give him up, but then something shocking happens. Warner is taken hostage and is much more likeable then when Juliette first met him. He’s not that psychotic megalomaniac Juliette first thought him to be when he took her out of the asylum she was sent to and held as his prisoner/guest. He’s starting to make more sense about things, and Juliette can’t help but soak in what he says, especially since he can touch her and has this seductive way of making her believe him. But Warner’s father wants revenge and feels the way to control Warner is to also control Juliette, or even eliminate her for good. Warner and Adam must work together to protect Juliette or she could become the ultimate victim to the ongoing war that’s about to come to a head and destroy everyone in its path.

I picked up Unravel Me at New York Comic Con last year and finished it within hours of reading. Fans of this series will love this one. The angst factor is high, the sensuality factor is even higher, and the idea of touch becomes very important for Juliette, Adam and Warner. The over the top prose has been toned down and the plot and action here is much more cohesive. There's many reveals here, most importantly about Juliette and her feelings for Adam and for Warner.

Warner is so seductive. Tahereh makes you like him. He has more a likable factor (but is still so damaged and deranged), which was shown in Destroy Me, the novella published prior to this. We gain a lot more insight on Warner’s relationship with his father and why he needs Juliette. But he's still a master manipulator who knows how to play Juliette so well. You the reader, as well as Juliette may not mind.

We find out Warner's first name and the very complex relationship between him and Adam is not what it seems. These two men love Juliette with everything they have inside of them. Talk about Angsty McAngst with Adam and Juliette.

We see an angry Juliette here. If you watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer and remember the episode where Willow goes feral due to the loss of her lover, Tara, then you'll get the idea what's in store for Juliette. Juliette is angry and she’s not going to take it anymore. She’s on a mission to right the wrongs done to her, and watch out, it will be a doozy when the third and final book is released in February 2014

The last line of this book says what's to come in book three. I wanted to stand up and cheer for Juliette for finally coming to the conclusion she’s not some insect to be prodded or walked all over. Warner will have a big role in helping Juliette realize this. Team Warner fans, rejoice.

Here's just a small taste of why there's a Team Warner: (Warner says this to Juliette in her bedroom, alone)

"I want so many things," he whispers. "I want your mind. Your strength. I want to be worth your time." His finger graze the hem of my top and he says "I want this up." He tugs on the waist of my pants and says "I want these down." He touched the tips of his fingers to the sides of my body and says, "I want to feel your skin on fire. I want to feel your heart racing next to mine and I want to know it's racing because of me, because you want me. Because you never," he says, he breathes, "never want me to stop. I want every second. Every inch of you. I want it all."

And I drop dead, all over the floor.

I dropped to the floor just like Juliette with a statement like that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unravel Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Gardner Wtf? The world isnt going to end!

Katie(babs) Jillian -always aspiring- wrote: "Totally agree about Warner! I will be very disappointed if he loses his crazy edge because of being "redeemed by love.""

He better not. If he does I will throw this book against the wall.

message 3: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey Thomas Did you ever watch Buffy? Willow's girlfriend's name was Tara - that's who got shot and triggered "dark Willow". Faith was another slayer.

Katie(babs) Kelsey wrote: "Did you ever watch Buffy? Willow's girlfriend's name was Tara - that's who got shot and triggered "dark Willow". Faith was another slayer."

Oh no, my bad! Thanks for pointing that out.

message 5: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey Thomas No problem, girl! Also, your review was super good and I can't wait to read this book. I hate waiting. Ha.

Katie(babs) Kelsey wrote: "No problem, girl! Also, your review was super good and I can't wait to read this book. I hate waiting. Ha."

It was just as good as the first. That Warner.... heh heh

message 7: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey Thomas Ah, Warner. I've always been on his side. I guess I like troubled young men, ha! I'm dying to find out what happens. I used to work in a book store, and I got an advanced reader copy of Shatter Me before it came out, so you can imagine the hell of waiting so long for the sequel.

Katie(babs) Some big reveals about Warner and a big big twist at the end you won't see coming.

Oyin REJOICIN' TEAM WARNER ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katie(babs) Oyin wrote: "REJOICIN' TEAM WARNER ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

High five!