Courtney Gustafson's Reviews > Anagrams

Anagrams by Lorrie Moore

Jan 04, 12

Read from January 03 to 04, 2012

This is the Lorrie Moore I love. There is essentially nothing wrong with this book. You couldn't find a flaw if you tried.

Anagrams follows the stories of Benna and Gerard, who, in a strange mash-up of scenarios, are poetry teachers, lounge singers, piano players, neighbors, parents, friends, lovers. In love and not in love. Together and then alone. The book plots the course of their relationship as it might take place if Gerard was in love with Benna, fully-clothed in his bathtub and listening for her to come home to her neighboring apartment; if Benna was in love with Gerard and Gerard left anyway, sold their belongings at a yard sale and then took the dog with him; if Benna was widowed and Gerard just a friend, the two of them meeting every morning for breakfast to discuss their most recent lovers. When Benna has a daughter, Moore tells us up front that the little girl is imaginary, just fiction. But ten pages later we're so wrapped up in the absolute devotion and devastation of the intertwined relationships of the novel that we don't even know what is real, what is love, what is loss.

It's a gorgeous book. The entirety of it can be summed up in six words repeated throughout the novel: "Life is sad. Here is someone."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anagrams.

01/03/2012 page 104