Sara's Reviews > The Boy in the Suitcase

The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl

Nov 25, 14

I was intrigued to read this book after all the glowing reviews, but was disappointed. I found it difficult to get into right from the start and found myself flipping back and forth, re-establishing who is who. I found it a difficult book to get into and had to force myself through the first half, at which point debated whether it was worth continuing, so I started reading it back to front. I find that sometimes helps to put the story into perspective. I don't see it as cheating inasmuch as by this time, I don't really care that much about the mystery, I just want to get a handle on the plot.

I agree with many of the other reviews that Nina is a ninny, and while I appreciated her desire to help those in need, I thought many of her decisions were ill-considered and only served to prolong the misery for everyone involved. I realize that if it weren't for those decisions, there would be no story, but I don't believe that is a good enough argument in favour of making foolish choices. A good story should make sense and the choices of the characters should be relate-able; if a character does something foolish without an underlying reason ie: a pathology of some sort and while it could be argued that Nina does have a neuroses of some kind, she is still presented as an intelligent, capable woman; the story feels false and forced.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy in the Suitcase.

message 1: by Sara (last edited Jun 17, 2012 09:32AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sara Once again, I have mistakenly posted a comment on my own review. Unfortunately, once posted, a comment cannot be completely erased, so I have to post something. This is it.