MelissaB's Reviews > Renegade Heart

Renegade Heart by Madeline Baker

1320046
Jan 07, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reads, paper-books-i-own, historical-romance, western-historical-romance, gunslinger-hero
Read from January 03 to 07, 2012

** 3 1/2 stars **

Logan Tyree is a gunslinger with a past which has hardened him into a man who hires out his gun and will kill for money. He escapes from jail and ends up on the ranch of Rachel Halloran and her father. They are having trouble with a neighbor who wants to buy their land and is very ruthless about it, to the point of killing some of their ranch hands. Rachel's father hires Tyree to help protect their land and kill the neighbor because he knows it's him or them.

Rachel is attracted to Tyree but abhors his way of life and his lack of conscience toward killing. Tyree sees Rachel as a pretty woman but has no intention of changing his ways. The story follows this couple as they eventually fall in love after many adventures and obstacles. The hero overgoes a change during the story due to the heroine's influence, he stops killing without thought and tries to be a better person, though he is still a man who will use his gun when he felt it was needed.

This book was interesting to me because the hero was a tortured man who started out the type of man to kill anyone for money, he really didn't care. It took awhile before he grew a conscience and started to shoot to wound if he could and think about his actions. He is still a man not afraid to use his gun but he loves the heroine and wants to build a life together at the end of the book. I liked the heroine but she took awhile to get rid of another guy who also liked her, though I understood because Tyree didn't seem the type to stick around and she tried to get him to commit to her. She was brave and helped save the hero more than once.

The book isn't perfect but it was interesting. There was a separation I didn't care for and the heroine's other suitor stuck around too much. She thought the hero had abandoned her at one point and was kissing the suitor again, but the hero also kissed another woman during the one separation, I don't really care for that in a story but they wren't committed to each other at these times. The loves scenes were very vague and not descriptive.

If you like westerns with a gunslinger hero, you may like this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Renegade Heart.

message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Nice review Melissa! :)

MelissaB Thanks Jessica! I don't write many these days :)

message 3: by Buggy (new)

Buggy Thanks Melissa, The hero sounds interesting

message 4: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Great review Melissa!