Megan's Reviews > Divided in Death

Jan 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 3-stars, crime-and-mystery, fiction
Read from January 02 to 08, 2012

The book had a good start, with set-ups and spies and conspiracies and Caro the kickass administrative assistant, but then the plot turned far too contrived and also dull (probably even a worse offense). You know it's a disappointing resolution when everything is explained in paragraphs and paragraphs of exposition from the antagonist. Boring. :/ Plus, after warming up to him in the prior couple of books, I'm back to finding Roarke a complete jackass who doesn't respect Eve's work and whose overbearingness always gets excused. My dislike of Roarke makes me care less and less about the Eve-and-Roarke relationship, which was unfortunately a major part of this book.

There was stuff I did like, but it was all small character pieces: Mavis coming crying to Eve because she's scared about being a mother (and Eve managing to make it better), a backyard barbecue (with all the usual suspects) during the murder investigation, Feeney and Roarke attempting to talk about something emotional, Commander Whitney having Eve's back, Eve visiting the Miras and telling Mira that she might have a crush on Dennis, Trina doing something to Eve that Eve is surprised to find she actually likes, etc., etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divided in Death.