Kathy's Reviews > One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

One of Our Thursdays Is Missing by Jasper Fforde

Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: odds-and-ends
Recommended to Kathy by: Deb Harkness
Recommended for: Literary Critics, Grammar Snobs, and anyone who loves a book dripping with sarcasm
Read from January 03 to 08, 2012, read count: 1

Thursday is missing, but is it the real Thursday or the written Thursday. No one really knows, not even Thursday herself. Throw in a slew of synthetic Thursdays, flat Thursdays, a cogman butler with a flare for cocktails, and a dozen or so Men in Plaid and you're in for a rollicking good time. Oh, and did I mention a thieving goblin, a flaming busload of nuns and orphan puppies, and an understudy who likes to get her hyphen on???

Jasper Fforde most definitely has a way with intelligent sarcasm. His wicked sense of humor makes this book a laugh riot from start to finish. I must admit that I was sometimes confused by locations, characters, and backstories, especially at the beginning, but I believe that it was due to the fact that I have not read the first five books in the Thursday series, something I recommend and plan to go back and do myself. Still, the humor and the writing more than made up for any confusion. A definite must-read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Our Thursdays Is Missing.

Quotes Kathy Liked

Jasper Fforde
“She wasn't the only one to be physically morphed by reader expectation. Miss Havisham was now elderly whether she liked it or not, and Sherlock Holmes wore a deerstalker and smoked a ridiculously large pipe. The problem wasn't just confined to the classics. Harry Potter was seriously pissed off that he'd have to spend the rest of life looking like Daniel Radcliffe.”
Jasper Fforde, One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

Jasper Fforde
“Ill-fitting grammar are like ill-fitting shoes. You can get used to it for a bit, but then one day your toes fall off and you can't walk to the bathroom.”
Jasper Fforde, One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

01/04/2012 page 44
12.0% "I was laughing so hard I had tears rolling down my face within the first 16 pages."
01/05/2012 page 100
28.0% "This thing cracks me up more and more all the time!"
01/06/2012 page 182
50.0% "LOL...Mimefield..."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth You're quite a wordsmith, Miss Kat!

Kathy LOL...Not really. Fforde just makes it easy. Literally, I just used his descriptors and strung them together.