LenaLena's Reviews > The Locker Room

Mar 05, 13

bookshelves: mm, omg-wtf-bbq
Read from January 03 to 04, 2012

FIVE SIZZLING, THROBBING, FUCK ME NOW! STARS

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book SO MUCH!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!! I loved this book so much!!!!! Chris is so perfect. I have fallen in love with books. I have fallen in love with authors. But I have never fallen head over heals for a character! Chris! I love you!

I have read this book at least seven hundred times!
I LOVE IT! For all you Xander lovers out there....
you went for the wrong guy!! CHRIS ALL THE WAY!!!!!

The book that started a phenomenon and opened my eyes to the wonderful, vast world of romance. I just can't say enough about it. Just simply that it's a beautiful and sweet against all odds love story. I love Chris and Xander's awkward, tentative, honest, sweet, and bold relationship. Lane truly captured the innocence and excitement of young, first love and made the reader feel right alongside Xander. The book that made so many of us want our very own Chris! I just love it and love the entire The Locker Room Saga

As a reader, I was fully enraptured in the day to day life of Xander and his emotions for Chris. I cannot wait to read the rest of the saga and I cannot wait to see the film! I do hope that it does it justice. His story is one that any romantic girl who has loved or desires to love can fall into and be held to the pages as the story unfolds.

I recommend this book for anyone and everyone. It truly is a keeper for my shelf.

Put into the realm of the supernatural basketball skills, this story portrays all that is dear and near as any Romeo and Juliet story in a different atmosphere can.

There will always be two people that by appearances should not be together. It is in the making it work and love enduring that proves that there is a way for anything to happen when you follow what is good and not evil.

This book touched me in profound ways. The Locker Room was a book that I got deeply involved with. It was not a casual read that was easy to put down and move onto everyday life. It was a book that I carried around with me and tried to read every chance I could.

The characters are MOVING AND INTENSE, their relationships with each other intimate and touching. I felt Chris's anguish that he can't let go of Xander, although he know he endangers him. I walked in Xander's shoes, feeling his fascination and intense love for Chris. Every touch, word, look between them was deep with emotion and that emotion went straight to my heart.

I can honestly say that this is one of the best romances I've ever read. Everything is there that a romance needs. The intensity, the emotion, the joy, the edge of despair of knowing that one is in too deep. And the fulfillment of knowing that your intense love is very much returned. It's what I read romance for.

Romance aside, the other elements also make this book involving. I was fascinated with Xander and what made him tick. His interactions with his parents and his friends. His outlook on life. His courage at facing a horrible situation out of love for another person. Even everyday things in his life were interesting to me.

Like Xander, I fell deeply in love with Chris. He is one of the most magnetic characters ever written, in my humble opinion. I know now that my reading life will consist of Before Chris Edwards and After Chris Edwards. Yes I am a grown woman obsessed with a homo book, but I like it that way.

It is one thing to really enjoy a book and wish the journey wasn't over, but to miss the characters so much that you have to read the series over and over again, just to numb the heartbreak of not being in their world is another thing. I fell in love with this series and have never, in my life, been more enchanted by anything. Need I say more?

This book is my favorite book ever! I love it and always will. It is about a basketball player who falls in love with another basketball player, and he is also deeply in love with him. The amount that he loves him is literally "to die for" love. The amount that he loves him is literally "unbearable".

Some people feel that Amy Lane puts too many emotions in her book, which I agree with a little. Sometimes there are details that simply aren't necessary and do nothing for the plot. But I actually appreciate that she's put in so much detail, especially how Xander's feeling about everything. I know that I wouldn't have had the patience for that! And it makes you feel for a little while that you actually are Xander.

The only thing that bothers me is what has happened because of The Locker Room. Now everyone is leeching (excuse the punn!) off of the whole gay thing, but the truth is The Locker Room isn't as much about homos as it is about "forbidden" love and that's what people don't understand and why they decide not to give the series a chance. Xander really shouldn't be with Chris, but neither of them can stay away. It's a truly classic love story with a fantasy twist to it. I think that if a lot of people that are so against it put their differences aside and actually tried to enjoy it they might end up liking it.

(view spoiler)
34 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Locker Room.

01/03/2012
34.0% "Aaaaand we have achieved emotional pukage!" 5 comments
01/03/2012
53.0% "The frequent use of the past perfect tense makes me feel like this story is still waiting to actually start, when we're over halfway done. Annoying. *wanders away to go check on Daron*" 19 comments

LenaLena Good idea, but make her catch up on Daron first!

Yvonne Oh my. I've never read a gushing review from you before. I was worried. Good thing I read the spoiler.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Aiko If Kate doesn't read Daron now, she never will.

Thanks for making me cry with laughter by the way. I stand by the "you're nuts" comment I made the other day.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

*poke poke* You forgot all the bolded parts. And the animated gifs. And the lolcats.

Your gushie review skills suck donkey balls. No Daron.

LenaLena Fine. I'll pretty it up tomorrow. Where do I find the fucking animated gifs?

You covered the lolcats, so bite me on that one.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Here:
Onion Head Smiley

message 8: by LenaLena (last edited Jan 05, 2012 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

LenaLena There you go Kate, animated gifs, lolcats and bolded shit. Anything else?

And another hour of my life I will never get back.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

*giggling* It's perfect. *clasps hands together*

For all that work, I guess I'll have to give in and read more Daron. I think I got to Ch. 206. How far am I behind?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hah! And we've reduced Oleg to speechless incoherence. It's a GOOD day. *preens*

message 11: by Aiko (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aiko This is so disturbing. Mortified and at the same time laughing my head off.

LenaLena As I lay in bed that night, though, still slightly buzzed, all I could think about was how his lips would have been cold from touching the edge of the beer bottle if I’d kissed him, and how his tongue would be hot behind that.

Fine. I jotted it down to use in a song. “Infernal Medicine.” My obsessions had to be good for something.

11 Chapters. Easy Peasy. One every other day and you'll be caught up in no time.

High five for making Oleg gibber!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh 11. Falling off a log kind of easy. I can do that.

----->insert silly emticon gif thingie here. Too lazy to go look<------

message 14: by Boycop (new)

Boycop Haven't had this fun for ages! *Still rolling in bed*

message 15: by Sarasaya (new)

Sarasaya Ok, for a sec, JUST a sec, you scared me. But it was only a sec.

LenaLena Nonono, I appreciate it, Oleg, I really do. Like you, I seem to embrace my tormentors, though. Let's call it Stockholm Syndrome.

message 17: by Boycop (new)

Boycop Oleg wrote: "I think Kate is just really brainwashing us."

The dark side is taking over. She is my father. Oh, nooooo!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

message 19: by Sarasaya (new)

Sarasaya Boycop wrote: "Oleg wrote: "I think Kate is just really brainwashing us."

The dark side is taking over. She is my father. Oh, nooooo!"

Kulta, we ARE the dark side and you all are already in it.

message 20: by Boycop (new)

Boycop *jumping into the pit*

message 21: by Aiko (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aiko *sit comfortably on my pile of pillows and look out on you all stumbling around in the dark*

Do I have to call you Daddy now Kate? (ooohhh Gooooood...that's so wrong on sooo many levels...*Squirm*)

message 22: by Sarasaya (new)

Sarasaya You said KULTA was enough!!!!

message 23: by Boycop (new)

Boycop Oleg wrote: "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sara, you chickened out. You were supposed to go with hanipöö, or lutunen. That's it, no more treats for you."

There is still hope for her. The force is strong.

message 24: by Boycop (new)

Boycop Oleg wrote: "Daddy Kate does have some truth in it, though. Think we should all go with that.

Sara: I said no such thing."

Of course he does, but Oleg does that happen often people misunderstand you or just neglect you?

message 25: by Casey (new)

Casey Cox Oh wow - I completely freaked out and hit 'to-read' in a panic.

I kept checking - marleen, marleen, the marleen I know? can't be... Maaaaarleeeeeeeen - what happened to yooooooou?

Then I saw the rest - phew. All is well and I haven't woken up in a parallel universe again. I'm still smarting from agreeing with Kate so much lately.

message 26: by Sarasaya (new)

Sarasaya YOU SO SAID SO.

Boycop, I'm sorry.

I don't know how to stop this...*hands in her hairs"

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 05, 2012 02:12PM) (new)

Casey wrote: "Oh wow - I completely freaked out and hit 'to-read' in a panic.

ETA: Sorry. I accidentally edited out my self awarded title. I didn't do it on purpose. Really. I was just going to add a response to Casey.

message 28: by Boycop (new)

Boycop Sarasaya wrote: "YOU SO SAID SO.

Boycop, I'm sorry.
""

No harm done. This was so much fun. Now, good night, Halinalles!

message 29: by Aiko (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aiko Thank fuck. Kate the Great *snicker* Kate the Menace works better in my opinion ;D

message 30: by Boycop (new)

Boycop Oleg wrote: "Boycop wrote: blablabla some fake-psychology questions

*rolls eyes* You really hang out too much with Kate."

I learned from Kate the Great!

Sorry, Oleg.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

message 32: by Sarasaya (new)

Sarasaya Kate the Great can do, I think..

message 33: by Aiko (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aiko Kate Mc. wrote: "Aiko wrote: "Thank fuck. Kate the Great *snicker* Kate the Menace works better in my opinion ;D"

I said NOTHING about Kate the Great. Nothing. There is no record of any such thing. :D"

uh-huh....*grin* Anything else you want to try to convince us about while you're at it? ^^

LenaLena Sorry for freaking you out, Casey! This proofs that one should always hit the spoiler links.

Daddy Kate? Why, that reminds me of...... Daddy Cool!

message 35: by Aiko (last edited Jan 05, 2012 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aiko *giggle* I'd rather call you Daddy Cool than Daddy Kate ;D

She is crazy like a fool. What about it Daddy cool?
I'm crazy like a fool. What about it Daddy Cool?

*dance around*

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Marleen wrote: "Sorry for freaking you out, Casey! This proofs that one should always hit the spoiler links.

Daddy Kate? Why, that reminds me of...... Daddy Cool!

That was seriously disturbing. Why do you know about these things?

message 37: by Casey (last edited Jan 05, 2012 02:28PM) (new)

Casey Cox Kate Mc. wrote: "This is getting kinda scary Casey. We need to find something loud and controversial really quickly."

Definitely. Have no idea what though.

Marleen, I've recovered a little now. Enough to get back to writing. I'll have to remember to quietly remove the title from my TBR list later.

Having said that, I like everything of Amy Lane's I've read so far. Truth in the Dark is a classic. Was never tempted by this one though.

LenaLena Cuz I grew up in Europe in the Seventies? And as my husband was just reminding me yesterday, that was a musical nuclear wasteland. My parents liked Boney M, what can I say? It's not my fault I was exposed to this at an impressionable age.

LenaLena Casey: I think it might be better than A solid Core of Alpha, anyway.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Marleen wrote: "I hope you watched it until the end where he takes his jacket off and humps the microphone stand while one of the girls is doing a Meg Ryan.... "

THAT was the possibly redeeming part. ;)

LenaLena Hey, I've got lots more toe curling seventies europop in my arsenal. Just holler if you need any!

message 42: by Casey (new)

Casey Cox I've found something Kate - I looooove Boney M!

By the River's of Babylon... do, do, do
Where we sat down... lalala we wept lala when we remembered Zion...

Ra Ra Rapsputin, lover of the Russian Queen dadadadededadade...

Solid Core of Alpha was a strange one. I loved it for the first 3/4's and then it seemed as though the end was written by someone else.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Casey wrote: "I've found something Kate - I looooove Boney M!

By the River's of Babylon... do, do, do
Where we sat down... lalala we wept lala when we remembered Zion...

Ra Ra Rapsputin, lover of the Russian ..."

*Shudders* No. no. no. That stuff is just deadly. It will rot out your brain.

message 44: by Casey (new)

Casey Cox It comes from having a sister that played it constantly. that and status quo lol

message 45: by Casey (new)

Casey Cox Oleg wrote: "Ah, wtf music-talk!

:)"

Oh - that just my head.

Liked the last one though :D

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a basketball story! Not weird Finnish metal or europop. Keep it real!

LenaLena I dunno, dude. I get more amusement out of the originals.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Marleen wrote: "I dunno, dude. I get more amusement out of the originals."

I preferred the "revised" Finnish versions, actually.

message 49: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 05, 2012 06:54PM) (new)

Marleen wrote: "As I lay in bed that night, though, still slightly buzzed, all I could think about was how his lips would have been cold from touching the edge of the beer bottle if I’d kissed him, and how his ton..."

That's at the end of chapter 209. I just finished it. See?? Me. Reading.

LenaLena Well done, Kate! And a new chapter just went up. Keep up the good work!

See Oleg, it was all worth it!

Now how far is Sara? *kicks Sara*